Thursday, September 18, 2008

A New Challenger Appears - 27 Trojan Horses Courtesy of "Marvel vs Capcom 3"



Let this be a lesson to all of you.... if something is too good to be true, it probably is. Also, never download anything from IsoHunt. One minute I'm playing the best fan-made game ever, and the next my computer is hijacked by about 78 million pieces of malware...

It all started last night. On a whim while browsing YouTube, I came across videos of a "build" of Marvel Vs Capcom 3 with over 115 characters. Unofficial of course, it was a fanboy's wet dream. Completely fan-built from scratch using M.U.G.E.N. - an open source fighting engine. Everyone from Firebrand to Phoenix to Galactus was playable, a dream come true.

Since the YouTube videos didn't contain any links to the game with characters included (only shells due to copyright reasons), I went ahead and downloaded it from IsoHunt.com, the only place that seemed to have the full build.

Bad idea.

Terrible idea.

In fact, probably the worst idea I've ever had.

After a 15 hour download, I finally unzipped the colossal directory and started playing the game. At first the .exe didn't work (showing an error stating files were missing), and I had to download a "fresh" one from an open source site for M.U.G.E.N. - that should have been my first hint that something was amiss...but I didn't listen and started playing. Aside from a bit of slowdown, it played just as I had hoped it would, albeit being a little rough around the edges...

Then something happened. All of the sudden, about 20 IE windows opened (funny, I'm using Firefox), my background changes to a bleeding biohazard sign, and a bunch of warnings pop up about being infected with everything from viruses to spyware. YIKES! I pulled the internet out on my computer and got a freeze...

Upon starting in safe mode with networking and downloading a couple of diagnostic programs, I found that Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 hit me with not 1, not 2, but 27 different trojan horses. Most of which I believe are removed at this point, but in order to have any kind of confidence in running anything on my PC again, it looks like I'm going to be fresh-installing Windows once my Trojan-free backup files are done copying over the network.

And with that, it's time to wipe my hard drive and start over again. A moment of silence for my PC...

And a big FUCK YOU to "Marvel vs. Capcom 3". Thanks A LOT....

1 comment:

nopantskid said...

Here's the parts that baffle me, and the part that may be making your eyes twitch.

1. This somehow eluded your antivirus?

2. Do you have an antivirus? I suppose you bypassed safety checks to get this beast to install...

3. Did you read people's reactions to the game beforehand?

4. If it is as gargantuan as it appears to be, is it at all plausible that you have a bad version? Why spend the time to code such a completed game if only to be a trojan program