Thursday, April 9, 2009

4 Days Until Tokyo...

I'm just about finished up at work now, and I've taken to completely slacking off. It's not so much that I don't have anything to do as much as it is that starting on a bunch of stuff right before vacation will really get me nowhere, so I'm better off hitting the code hard as soon as I return, as opposed to the two days before I leave.

I've spent the last hour or so scouring the intarwebz for maps of the areas where we will be frequenting, in hopes that it will help with navigation purposes. I stumbled on a color-coded map of Akihabara sorting out all the shops by type and location (all the game centers and game shops are highlighted one color, the gundam figure shops another, etc.)

Since Lisa and I are only really interested in the game shops, it'll be a lot easier to navigate with an idea of where we're going. Akiba is going to be one of the few multiple stop locations on our trip, and I want to get the most out of the time we have there, too. I found the location for Super Potato - arguably THE most insanely awesome retro store in the world. I can't wait to stop in there, although at this point I really have no idea what kind of items I'll buy.

At this point it's almost time to just settle in and prep for the ride. Saturday is the Final Fantasy concert, which will eat up most of the day, and then Sunday is a brief respite before the storm. GoPlanit.com has been a HUGE help, as it seems everyone I know in Tokyo seems to want to hang out with Lisa and I this time around, so having a set schedule makes it a little easier to make sure I don't ruin the "VACATION" by planning too much stuff. One of my favorite things last year about my vacation to Japan was simply walking around or riding the train to see what we could find...without worrying about having to be a particular place at a particular time....so I'd prefer not to bog us down in schedules.

I need to start cleaning the house, the last thing I want is to wait until the last day to get things done and have an "OH SHIT" moment right before we have to leave to catch the shuttle to the airport. As long as we don't forget the yen and our passports, everything else is replaceable.

Won't be long now.

No comments: